EP15: The only thing that matters is doing the work
Justin responds to listener questions:
Question 1: How do you decide if an idea is worth launching?
The product founder doesn’t push an idea on the people. Instead, the people provide the inspiration for the product.
Your product idea really has to be something that people want. You can’t force your idea on people, hoping that they’ll buy.
Question 2: How do you build products if you have kids and a full-time job?
The only thing that matters, is the work – when you’re building a product, there are a lot of things you can spend your time on: tweeting, answering email, fiddling with analytics. No procrastinating. Building a product is like pushing a rock uphill: your whole focus should be getting that rock to move a little farther. Everything else is a distraction.
Question 3: What outside material are you allowed to use in a podcast?
In copyright law, there is something called Fair Use. However, it’s application is complicated. For example, if I wanted to use a heavy metal track, there’s a few things that might affect me using it under Fair Use: am I earning revenue from the podcast? Am I stealing business from the copyright owner? How much of the podcast does the copyrighted material take up (ie. 8 minutes of a 10 minute show?).
Season 1 launches
- The Build & Launch podcast
- The Product Hunt Handbook
- Network Effects: a web app for notifying groups via SMS
- Irresistible Podcasting
- Productify: Gumroad plugin for WP Membership Sites
- We Are Not Normal People: Barber story
- End of an Era: “All that matters is the work”
- Heavy metal song: All for One, by Striker (from their City of Gold album)
- Fair Use for podcasts
- Leave us a review on iTunes
- Follow Justin on Twitter: @mijustin
- Join the newsletter
Podcast hosting provided by Simplecast.fm